- Mozilla started a campaign on May 28 to set a Guinness World Record for the most number of software downloads in 24 hours with its Firefox 3 browser.Firefox community was asked to pledge to download the browser on the download day.
- GOAL(Mozilla FAQ):Do we have to reach a specific number of downloads in order to set the record? This is the first record attempt of its kind so there is no set number. We'd really like to out do the number of Firefox 2 downloads on its launch day, which was 1.6 million. Let's shoot for 5 million--the sky is the limit!.
Firefox community email
- The Mozilla servers were down for few hours on the download day.Read the minute by minute status update on CNET."Thanks to overwhelming demand we’ve passed through 14,000 downloads a minute! This will put us well into the tens of millions of downloads in a 24 hour period if we can sustain it. Each download is about 7MB so that’s around 13 Gigabits/s of just download traffic. Not too shabby!",the Mozilla site said.
The download day started on June 17,2008 17:00 UTC/GMT - 22:30 IST.->>
Firefox community email
- Five hours after the release of Firefox 3,a security firm DV Labs/TippingPoint reported a critical vulnerability to Mozilla affecting affecting Firefox 3.0 as well as prior versions of Firefox 2.0.x. The vulnerability could allow an attacker to execute arbitrary code on visiting a malicious link.The same firm recently published an advisory related to Motorola RAZR JPG Processing Stack Overflow Vulnerability.The advisory will only be published once the vulnerability is patched by Mozilla.
- At their busiest, the servers were handling more than 9,000 downloads per minute. Within five hours the number of downloads for version 3.0 exceeded the 1.6 million mark set by Firefox 2.0 in October 2006.
- India download count too low @ 489,889 downloads for the download day.US @7,734,930;China @721,524;Iran @535,796;North Korea @000
Firefox community emailWorld Record Confirmed by Guinness on July 3,2008(Press Release):--->>"We did it! We set a Guinness World Record.Thanks to the support of the always amazing Mozilla community, we now hold a Guinness World Record for the most software downloaded in 24 hours. From 18:16 UTC on June 17, 2008 to 18:16 UTC on June 18, 2008, 8,002,530 people downloaded Firefox 3 and are now enjoying a safer, smarter and better Web"
Mozilla FAQ about the validity of the record:-
What does Mozilla have to provide Guinness to validate the record? We will provide the following:
- Signed statements of authentication from our judges showing that we've followed the rules and confirming our numbers.
- Video footage and photographs of our community members hosting Download Fests. Take pictures!!
- Download logs for a sample size of our downloads. We will internally host 10% of the downloads, retaining all of the logs for these downloads, and will use this as our sample set to extrapolate the actual download number and percentage of completed downloads.